Origin of the surname
Possibly a modern form of the ancient Irish name "O'Murchada". First found in county Wexford. They were descended from the younger son of Enna Cincealagh, King of Leinster and formerly possessed a large territory in county Carlaw known as the High Feliny. Spelling variations include: Murphy, Morchoe, O'Murphy, Murfie, Murfree, Morfie and many more.

Darby Murphy, c1800 - 
Darby Murphy was born around the turn of the eighteenth century in Ireland. He and his wife Johanna had a son, John, born in 1819. Thirty four years later, Darby and Johanna were still living when John emigrated to NSW along with his wife Mary Shea and five children. Nothing is yet known about the details of their life.

Family Group Sheet

Descendants Chart

John Murphy, c1819 - 
SS Talavera brought the Murphy clan to Australia in 1853

John Murphy was born at Glanbagh, County Kerry, about 1819, son of Darby Murphy and Johannah. After childhood, John found employment as a farm labourer.

At the age of 20 he married Mary Shea and the first of their five children was born the following year. He was named John, for his father. Two more sons and two daughters followed during the next 13 years: James b.1843, Honora b.1846, Donald b.1850 and Mary b. Apr 1853.

The family emigrated to Australia aboard Talavera and arrived in Sydney on 25 August 1853.

Nothing is yet known about the later details of his life in Australia.

Research interests

Family Group Sheet

Descendants Chart

James Murphy, c1843 - 1914
James Murphy was born in County Kerry, Ireland, in about 1843, the second of five children born to John Murphy and Mary Shea. When he was ten years old, the family emigrated to Australia on the SS Talavera, arriving in Sydney on 25 August 1853.

The family went to the Bathurst district and settled down. James married a local girl, Anne Malcolm, daughter of Joseph Malcolm and Mary Gleeson. They had four children, all born at Campbell's River: James b.1865, Abbey Elizabeth and Mary b.1867 and d.1867, Mary b.1868.

Around 1868, James left his wife and spent several years rambling around NSW. By the late 1870s he was a butcher in the remote western town of Gongolgon (between Brewarrina and Bourke). There he met Prudence Whye (nee Reed), a widow with 5 children. In March 1878 her son, Joseph, died and four months later her daughter, Kate, also died. Prudence was expecting James' child but they could not marry until after James obtained a divorce from Anne.

James and Prudence had a son, Daniel Reed Murphy, on 14 May 1879 and they married four days later.

Their second son was born on 27 December in the following year and named George Charles Reed Murphy. Around this time James built and became the licensee of the "Family Hotel" in Bourke while retaining his interest in Prudence's hotel at Gongolgon.

Further tragedy struck on Christmas Eve 1881 when the couple's first son, Daniel, died.

During the next five years, three girls were added to the family: Nora Lillian b.1882, Mary Ethel b.1884 and Lila Kate b.1886. James extended his business interests to dealings in stock and he owned significant parcels of land in and around Gongolgon, Bourke and Louth. He joined the Order of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity and took an interest in politics as a free trade advocate.

James Murphy died on 23 July 1914 at Bourke.

Family Group Sheet

Descendants Chart

George Charles Reed Murphy, 1880 - 
George Charles Reed Murphy, circa 1904

George Murphy was born at Gongolgon (near Bourke NSW) in 1880, son of James Murphy and Prudence Reed. He had an older brother (Daniel Reed Murphy) and an older half-brother from his mother's previous marriage to Joseph Whye. The family was eventually extended by three younger sisters: Nora Lillian, Mary Ethel and Lila Kate.

His diminutive stature and affinity with horses led to George becoming a jockey in his early twenties. At age 24 he married Ellen Ruby Bowen, daughter of the late Bourke shop-keeper, John Henry Bowen. Family lore has it that, on his wedding day, he rode every winner at the local race meeting.

George and Ellen's wedding portrait, Bourke, 1904

They had three children:
    John Henry George Murphy (1906 - c1985)
    Ena Ruby Murphy (6 Sep 1908 - 16 Oct 1995)
    Leila Murphy (1 Jun 1911 - c1991)

Tragically, Ellen contracted typhoid in 1912 and died at just 29 years of age. She is buried in Bourke cemetery. Her three young children were given over by their father into the care of their maternal grandmother, Alice Clarkson Bowen (nee Poulton). Read how this extended family lived in the years before, during and after World War I in Ena Ruby Murphy's account of her childhood in Ma Bowen's care.

Soon, George left Bourke and he spent most of the following years in Queensland. He married again and had more children. Occasionally, but not often, his search for work brought him back to Bourke. His daughter, Ena, recalls her surprise when, at about age 10, she encountered her father in a Bourke shop; she had not known that he was in town.

His second wife, though, did what she could for her distant step-children, including sending money when it could be spared. Unfortunately, she too died leaving young children that were given over to close maternal relatives.

George married a third time, but little is known of his later life or about his death.

George's children from all three marriages were never all together at one time. In fact, George's son Jim (from the second marriage) came to Bourke circa 1975 to seek out his half-sisters Ena and Leila (then aged in their late 60s). It was the first time the sisters had met any of their half-brothers.

Family Group Sheet

Descendants Chart

Ena Ruby Murphy, 1908 - 1995
Portrait Ena Ruby MurphyEna Ruby Murphy, circa 1985

Ena Ruby Murphy was born on 6 September 1908, the second of three children born to George Charles Reed Murphy and Ellen Ruby Bowen. Her life was touched by tragedy at the tender age of 4 when her mother died of enteric fever and a perforated intestine at the age of 29. Ena, her older brother Jack and younger sister Leila were given over by their father into the care of their widowed maternal grandmother, Ma Bowen (Alice Clarkson Poulton). The three of them were raised by her, alongside their uncles and aunts, with whom they formed very close bonds.

In those days there was no welfare and, with Ma Bowen a widow, times were very hard. It was necessary for this extended family to support one another through a very difficult time. For example, Ena's older brother (Jack) paid for her to attend boarding school in Parkes for a year. The  family was very close for several generations afterward as her children and grandchildren learned from Ma Bowen's experience.

Read how the family lived in the years before, during and after World War I in Ena Ruby Murphy's account of her childhood in Ma Bowen's care.

In 1918, at the age of ten, Ena became ill and was sent to Sydney for a few months to convalesce at Hurlstone Park with her father's sister, Nora Lillian Murphy (Aunty Lil) and paternal grandmother (Prudence Murphy nee Reed). Aunty Lil's husband was away at the war at the time. Her father's other sister, Aunty Kate (Lila Kate Moller nee Murphy) lived next door.

After leaving school, Ena worked at Hales' department store in Oxley Street, Bourke. Following an argument with her Uncle Con's wife (Aunty May), Ena moved to Sydney to live (again) at Hurlstone Park with her father's sister and mother.  Leila came too, but only stayed a week. Ena, however, stayed for several months and always looked back on this time in her life with fondness. She especially recalled the dances that she attended in places such as Marrickville Town Hall. No doubt they were fun affairs during the heyday of the "Roaring Twenties".

But soon word came that Ma Bowen was ill and Ena hurried back home to Bourke. She got her old job back at Hales, but a few months later Ma died on 27 November 1927.

Ena had been engaged to Halvar Roy Kessey since before her sojourn to Sydney. After Ma's death, she moved in to the Oxford Hotel that was run by the Kessey family. She and Halvar were married on 29 October 1928; the groom's parents paid for the wedding.

By the time Ena and Halvar's first child (James Anthony) was born on 31 March 1930, they were living with Halvar's parents at 13 Sturt Street. Halvar's father was Mayor of Bourke and was involved in an incident with disruptive elements in the town (see Bricks at dead of night). Bricks were thrown through the bedroom windows of the house and one landed in the baby's cot. Fortunately he was sleeping in a cooler part of the house at the time.

After this incident, Halvar's parents decided to get away from the trouble and strife; they visited the old country: Ireland. After several months away, Halvar's mother felt that all was not well at home and urged her husband to return. She was right.

Ena's son, Jim, had contracted meningitis, along with 13 other babies in Bourke. Twelve died and the doctor had resigned himself that Jim would suffer the same fate. Mrs Polson, the hospital Matron, suggested that they try a new technique: the intravenous drip. The doctor agreed that it was worth trying and could do no harm. Jim was the only survivor out of the 13 babies that contracted the illness.

Around this time, Ena and Halvar moved to a house on the western end of Hope Street, about two blocks from the Sturt Street house.

The first of three daughters, Halvene Therese, was born on 6 February 1934. She was followed by Carmel Rae (18 August 1939).  During this time, Halvar worked for Hales and Co.

"Grandma Kessey" was a frequent visitor from Sturt Street (a block and a half away) and was very good to Ena. She was in the habit of hitting a golf ball over to Ena's place and would then follow it for a visit!

During the Second World War, Halvar was Mayor of Bourke and, due to his role in civil defence, was not eligible to sign up with the armed forces. Ena was asked to return to her old job at Hales & Co (due to the shortage of labour that resulted from the war). She was able to do so by arranging for her 15 year old niece, Marie Murphy, to move into the Hope Street house to help look after the children. This was also a help for Ena's brother, Jack, who had a very large family.

Marie never went back home; she eventually got a job in Bourke, got married and raised three children. Eventually, she and her husband, Roscoe Turner, moved to Wallarewang where Roscoe worked in the power industry.

Ena had several members of her extended family living with her over the years. After Marie she had her cousins Alice and Joe Williams staying with the family also. Their mother, Ena's aunt Ivy, had died suddenly in 1943. Ena's daughter, Halvene (aged 9) remembers that a large group of family members were sitting in the kitchen in tears. She and Joe Williams (aged 5) were sitting on the step. Halvene asked Joe why everyone was crying. He replied simply, "Mum died".

Alice and Joe stayed with Ena while they attended school. Alice later left school and got a job in Bourke and continued living with Ena's family. Alice and Joe's brothers Pat, Con and Jack also lived with Ena's family at times.

After his father died in August 1944, Halvar bought the Sturt Street house from the estate and the family moved in with his mother. Soon after, Ena had a third daughter, Penny Patricia, on 18 March 1945.

Halvar and Ena lived at 13 Sturt Street until after his retirement in 1970. It was a large house, with 4 double bedrooms, a large lounge room, a large kitchen - dining room and a huge "arcade" room in addition to large front and back verandas.

Ena helped the family to make ends meet by taking in boarders; she turned the western end of the side veranda into a makeshift bedroom (to supplement the four double bedrooms)! In addition, at various times she had her married daughters, Halvene and Carmel, and their families living in the house.

When her children were grown, Ena returned to paid work. She worked in a dress shop for some time and then worked for her son-in-law, Bruce Fleming at the Ampol depot office.

Ena and Halvar enjoyed playing bowls and regularly travelled to Sydney for the "Country Week" carnival. They were also keen social card players, as were all the Kessey clan.

When Halvar retired, Ena decided that they should sell the Sturt Street house and live in something smaller. They moved to a small house in Tudor Street. After Halvar's stroke, they decided to move into a retirement village in the Illawarra district, near their daughters.

Halvar died in 1981 and is buried in Wollongong. Ena lived in the area for another 14 years. Her strength left her as she moved into her mid-80s and eventually she was admitted to a nursing home in Bathurst where she died a few months later on 16 October 1995. She is buried at Bathurst.

Her grand-daughters Jenny Hull and Peta Fleming wrote the following poem that was read at her funeral.

           To Our Nan
A remarkable woman
For whom we all cared
Who brought joy to our lives
A love we all shared.

Her love was so constant
Whatever our wrongs
Her feelings we knew of
Her love for us strong.

This woman we speak of
A grandmother true
The most wonderful grandmother
Ena Ruby is you.

Family Group Sheet

Descendants Chart

Oral History recording by Ena Ruby Kessey nee Murphy
as told to her daughter, Halvene Therese Fleming nee Kessey and son in law, Reginald Bruce Fleming.

I was born on the sixth of September 1908. My parents were Ellen Ruby Bowen and George Charles Reed Murphy. I was married on 29th October 1928 to Halvar Roy Kessey who was born on the first of April 1905. His parents were James Kessey and Mary Jane Press.

My children are:
    James Anthony, born on the 31st March 1930, at Bourke
    Halvene Therese, born on 6th February 1934, at Bourke
    Carmel Rae, born on 18th August 1939, at Bourke
    Penny Patricia, was born on 18th March 1945, at Bourke

I remember living in that house in Tudor Street [Bourke, NSW -Editor]. The house was my grandmother Bowen's, that was the one up towards opposite where Ted Honeyman used to live. I can't remember living with Mum and Dad, I can visualise which house it was, on the opposite side of the street. It must have been when my mother died that we moved to the bigger house. I don't remember living with my mother, it was almost opposite my grandmother's house. I don't know what my brother Jack remembers of it and I don't know if Aunty Ive was married then.

I sort of remember them having the wedding [Ivy May Bowen m. Harry Williams circa 1913 -Editor] at the Wall's Hotel, which was where Jack O'Mara had the bakers shop, opposite Honeyman's Store. I remember somebody took the horse out of their cart and put it on the other side of the hitching rail and then put it back in the cart.

There were a lot of hotels about. When we moved into the bigger house, it was on the corner of Tudor and Wilson Streets. There was a hotel right opposite and it was held by Whittakers, not Jack Whittaker's people, but they were related, I think the fathers were brothers. There was a daughter named Clare, who we were friends with. The other members of the family were older, Her family must have gone to school. We were great friends with Clare and also Clare Hobson, who lived in the same street.

I remember grandmother coming up once, my other grandmother, and wanting to take me back to Sydney and jacking up on that. Her name was Prudence Murphy nee Reed, but I jacked up on going, but she did offer. Yes she did offer.

But after Aunty Ive got married, because Aunty Ive always lived with us. She didn't have a property. Alice was the only one born after they went on the property. Uncle Harry used to go out on the stations and do that sort of work, he had a bullock team. Because we used to get a ride down there, they used to have what do you call it, a wool scour and it was a way down at the weir, and we used to go down for the ride. He must have been pretty good to us. He was not the man of the house. He used to work on a station and only come home now and again. I remember he used to get eggs for his breakfast and we used to love eggs. He always let us dip our bread in it. We must have been terribly young then.

I don't remember Jack Williams when he was a baby, or much about him anyway. Coming on to Pat and Myn, they were part of us. Pat and Myn.

Aunty Ive wasn't at my wedding because she was on the verge of having Alice, and they were on the property then. They drew it you know. It wasn't a soldiers block, it was when Pop Barton drew one (Rainbar), that big one (ballot). They were breaking up the bigger properties. They went out there, and they took all their stuff out on the bullock wagon. I suppose he had to sell that when he got the property. They lived pretty simply, they only had dirt floors, I remember that, and we used to have drives to get the rabbits to help keep everybody. I never lived out there. We used to go out there a bit. When Aunty Ive and all the kids went out there, it left only Ma, Jack, Leila and I in the house. I remember Aunty Min wanting to buy her a smaller house and she wouldn't move. I used to be dying to move. I remember Ma saying one day, " Oh, people who move all the time. Don't pay their rent".

All the rent we had to pay was six shillings a week. It was a terrible old house though, it was big though, that old house, but it had plenty of rooms in it, a great big yard and great big shed at the back. It used to be a bakers shop. There was a bakery, "the bake house", we used to call it, the oven and everything are still there. But the shop was there, it was on the corner, on the corner of Tudor and Wilson Streets.

Then when they pulled the hotel down, I remember when they pulled that hotel down, because we were kids and you know what sticky beaks kids are. It was Whittakers' Hotel, the one that was over the road. And we lived next door to Aunty Liz at this stage, she lived next door to us rather. And Girlie, we were all there, sticky beaking, and someone threw a piece of wood and it hit Girlie on the arm. She had a three corner tear in her arm. I fainted at that stage. Poor Girlie had this great gash in her arm. And after they pulled that hotel down, they put the lemonade factory there. And if ever we wanted a drink of lemonade and we had a raffle, we'd make over to Paddy, Paddy O'Connor, he'd go in for the raffle but he'd give you a drink of lemonade at the same time.

We didn't get much, we never ever felt as though we didn't have much. Uncle Con used to be there pretty often after he got to the shearing stage and when we got big enough to know what was going on, he was very good to us. He'd come home with all the pennies and divide it up amongst us, not only the kids living in the house, but Clare Hobson and all the others from around the place all got their share. And I remember once we all got eight pence and we thought we were made

Aunty Min was working at Rices, and later on she went to Sydney to work, she was working at Sergeants, the shop with pies and things. I think she went to work in the first place to Arthur Blakeleys, he was a Member of Parliament in Sydney and she lived there, and she was really friendly with them all her life after that. But she used to work at Rices in the first place, she was only young. I remember her coming home one night puffing and blowing, she had run all the way home. Old Jock used to live in the shop there. They used to be smoking all this stuff. One of them spoke to her as she walked past, and she took to her heels.

There used to be a lot of Chinese in Bourke then, they used to cut scrub to feed animals and stuff like that. There used to be a lot of them there ring-barking trees. There were a lot of chinamen there smoking the stuff I remember.

You know how there used to be Germans and they were sort of interned, next door to Jock's there was a place where an interned family lived. The kids used to go to school. There was always one in there, in the shop, where we used to have the shop in Richard Street. There were some people there, too, that were interned. The ones near Jock's were named Finney, I remember that name as well as anything. I did see some of them years later, when they got curious about Bourke and came back to look at it. I remember that too.

They blamed the doctor at one stage, Doctor Coolican's father, blamed him for it, reckoned he was always ringing up when he shouldn't have been. Whether they found out he was doing it? He was never taken away or anything, but they did blame him. They used to live over there in Japan.

We had a long way to walk, everyone walked in those days, nobody had cars much. We had to walk to school, it was a long way, more than a mile. You know how far our church is from Tudor Street, we used to take a short cut across the flat. I remember we were always trying to get bamboo whistles off Rices' tree. They had a six foot tin fence, well it looked a mile high to us, we were only little kids. I remember once getting caught and I had skin off my hands where I'd caught them on the fence.

We took all the short cuts, down the lane there behind the Public Works, along by the Punt Cutting. I remember Leila once, she was only little, she wasn't looking where she was going and ran into a post, and howled all the way to school.

The Fradgeleys used to live over the river there and they used to sell goat meat and stuff, you know. The punt was there then and you could go across the river. You had to be pulled across, Fradgeleys had something to do with the pulling the punt across. We used to buy goat meat from them now and again, and it was nice too.

We used to have a baked dinner on Sunday, every Sunday and baked pudding with custard. The baked pudding was made with all the proper stuff, you know, suet and that sort of stuff. And Aunty Ive used to make the custard in a great bowl. I can see the bowl now, and one day I must have been giving cheek, a bit of cheek, she made a swipe at me and dropped the bowl of custard. Oh Gawd! I don't know what she was swiping me for, I don't remember. We never got swiped. I must have deserved it a few times, I think.

We used to, all the kids in the street, used to get out and play Cocky Laurum after tea of a night in the summer time.

I remember once taking Pat for a walk, Pat wasn't very much younger, I must have been a fairly big kid, but instead of going around and crossing at the right place I was cutting across the gutter and tipped the poor little wretch out. I thought those kids were just the bees knees, you know.

They didn't have any Lactogen or anything much at that stage, Aunty Ive used to give them Arrowroot biscuits made soft with milk and they used to love that. She used to buy the biscuits in a tin, THAT big. But you can't buy them like that now, I don't think. They never used to get fed until they were about nine months old, but when they did feed them they gave them bread and gravy, mashed potatoes, and squashed it all up, bread crumbled up and gave them that. Soup, there wasn't any baby food in tins then.

There were no rotary clothes lines around at that stage, we had a line from one end of the yard to the other, and a post to hold them up. I thought I was lovely once when the river was rising and the flood was coming up which it did pretty often. Ma and Aunty Ive went down to inspect it, and I got all the clothes off the line, folded some up and thought I had done a great stroke. It must have been good too, for poor old Grandma. Because it was hard, they had a boiler in the yard, they used to boil the clothes in, carry them in of course, to a sort of a home made bench.

No such thing as having carpet on your floor as I remember, a lot of people had lino, but I don't remember anyone having carpet. We had lino in one room, we used to call it the "front room". At one stage Uncle Con bought us a piano for this front room. And Aunty Ive had a lounge and it was bamboo, it had cushions and things, there were chairs and there was this three seater thing. Any glass ware, any good stuff, was kept on a big sideboard which was made out of real good wood. There were things that belonged to Grandma, there were things that belonged to my mother, who had died a few years before, and things of Aunty Ive's, too.

We had a home made dresser in a big dining room, which had a sideboard, a home made dresser, two machines, a great big six foot table and a mob of chairs and a baby chair. I remember that as well as anything.

And on Saturday all the place was cleaned out like steam, under the baby's chair they used to put a clean bag, in case he tipped his food on the floor.

There was one bedroom, which, Ma and Leila and I shared. Leila slept with Ma and I had a single bed, it was a big room. It had one of those great big chests of drawers, you know, about four big drawers on the bottom, more at the sides, and little ones for your hankies, and a mirror standing up on it. And on the wash stand there was a jug and basin and places for your soap, a jerry sitting on the bottom. The big linen press was in the corner, it must have been a very big room.

They were all sort of in a row. There was what we called the "dining room", where we lived practically, with the six foot table and that in it. Then our bedroom, and then the "front room", and then Aunty Ive's bedroom, which used to be the shop they used to say. She had a double bed, great big cot, another one of those great big chests of drawers and another washstand with all the paraphernalia on it, and a little chest of drawers as well with a mirror and everything on it.

And then off the "front room" there was a veranda and the bathroom was on one side of that which practically closed it in. And the boys bedroom, they used to call it, was around the corner, and it was off this veranda, too. One time, I remember, there were four single beds in there, that was our favourite place for reading. We'd be laying down there and Ma used to reckon we were lying on the broad of our backs. It was the boys room, see, and whoever came slept there.

There was another little bedroom off the back veranda, that was Aunty Min's room. At the stage when I remember, I was curious, there were trunks and what have you there, that had all sorts of gear in them, high heeled shoes and things like that.

And then going from the dining room out there was the kitchen on one side and a little alley way and a little room we used to call the "back room", a hanging safe and lots of boxes and a linen press and what have you there too.

Outside at the back, I think Harry Williams must have put a roof there. It was a dirt floor and we also had a big six foot table there and big stools behind it. We ate out there in the summer time. They'd put everybody's boots out there of a Saturday and they'd all have to be cleaned.

We had a great big stable down the back yard with a feed room off it. Apparently at some time or other, somebody had racehorses there. And it seemed to be miles that we had to climb up to look out the window, which was only a hole cut, it had no glass in it or anything. I used to be scared stiff to go into the feed room, the fowls used to lay in there sometimes and it was dark and I always felt there were snakes.

The lavatory was a great big six by four one, we had to go down to glory.

Between it and us outside, the bakehouse was outside, like there was this veranda with a roof on it there was something there with a dish on, where we used to wash our faces. Another bit of a yard that was fenced off, and then the bakehouse was there. And I remember the dirty clothes bag was hanging up there in that. The bakehouse still had a big counter out of the shop and there was a lot of bags there, I don't know where they came from. They had to go outside for the stuff when they were boiling the washing, which, was hung on these great big lines from one end to the other.

It was a big yard, we had no front yard, but we had a front veranda which was right along and around the corner. When we were kids, that had wire netting on it, I suppose to keep the young ones in. Whoever was the baby would sleep in the cot. Somebody must have slept on the bed on the back veranda there. It was Aunty Ive's favourite spot to read of an afternoon.

Her room was nice but I don't think she had lino on it. It had lino in the front room.

We had a garden then, where our table was with the roof over it, we had a bit of a garden there. There was a lucerne patch, some grape vines, I always thought it was a peach tree, now they are trying to make out it was a nectarine tree. Jack Williams and them.

Jack Williams and them used to go to school with us down the lanes and things when they got to school age. We all grew up like brothers and sisters.

Then when Aunty Min got married she lived in that big house up in Hope Street. She married Syd Honeyman, they had the shop by this time, which used to be Rices. Used to be Rices shop and Syd and Ted Honeyman used to work for Mr. Rice, he was an Auctioneer. It finished up Syd and Ted Honeyman's. I suppose they bought out Ted's share when Uncle Syd died. No, they drew a block, which was Emoh Ruo, so he must have sold his share then to Ted. They went out there to live, while we still lived in that old house.

We still lived in that old house when Ma died. [Some time before that  - Editor] I was in Parkes at school. I went away to school for twelve months, Jack Murphy paid for that, poor Jack.

When I came back I got a job at Hales, Aunty Ive was still with us then. I worked there and then later on Uncle Con got married. Aunty May came then and later Aunty May and I had a bit of an argument. She was trying to make us do things we had never been made do before, so I packed up and went to Sydney, down to Aunty Kate, Leila came too, but only stayed a week. She went home again. But I was there until I got word that Ma was sick and I went home and I didn't go back to Sydney again. Hales gave me my job back. I worked there until I got married. Nobody used to work after they got married then.

When I lived with my grandmother which was next door to Aunty Kate, she had five kids then. Jack was the oldest and the four girls. Phyl was the second oldest one then there was Neela and Marj was the youngest. I lived there with my grandmother and Aunty Lil and Uncle Ted was at the war, and she had Joan, only Joan. The war ended when I was down there then. I remember going in to town with them, everyone was cheering, all the soldiers and sailors.

We used to go to dances and things. Marrickville was our favourite place, although there was a little hall just down the street from where we lived. We used to go there pretty often. Marrickville Town Hall was our favourite place for dancing, and it was only about, I think there was Dulwich Hill and then Marrickville from Hurlstone Park. We used to walk home sometimes, Phyl remembers it. So it wasn't far. I wasn't married then, but I was engaged when I went to Sydney. In 1918, I was only ten and I was always fainting in school, so they sent me down to my other grandmother for twelve months. That is how I remember the war ending. Because I was delicate. Then I went back when I was older, eighteen or nineteen. We used to go to these dances, they were good.

So when Ma took sick I went back home to Bourke. Then she died while I was home and I didn't go back to Sydney, I went to the Oxford to live with the Kesseys. Leila went out to Aunty Min at Emoh Ruo. Leila worked for Mrs O'Mara for a while, I don't know where she was living at that time. She was pretty young and so went to live with Aunty Min when Ma died.

Research interests

The Murphy clan at Locksley Park Retreat, 1995
Jim Fleming, Jane Langridge, Jim Kessey, Thomas Hull, Bob Hull, Margaret Hull, Mark Hull, Lisa Fleming, Patrick Fleming, Bruce Fleming, Lei Helm
Centre: Penny Kessey, x Murphy, x Murphy, Carmel Hull, Halvene Fleming, Judy Dickson, x Helm, x Helm, Jacqui Bannister
Front: Max Bannister, Peta Fleming, John Hull, Matthew Hull, Emma Hull, Jennie Hull, Shae Fleming






Copyright Jim Fleming 2002.
This page created on 30 June 2002.
Last edited on 22 Mar 2011 .
Click here for information on contacting the web master.
Hit count: Hit Counter